Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Catching Up

I know it has been awhile since my last post so I thought today would be a good day to update everyone back home on how its going. I am hitting the 2/3 mark for my first year and it is like hitting a massive brick wall. It is an uphill climb from here till the end of the year for sure. It is not just the lack of breaks from here on out that is discouraging, but the continuous struggle with these students is getting to me and the remaining 7th grade team as well.

Since returning to the UAE from Thailand I have been go go go. We had our Read Across Glenelg Week, the first week back. It was really fun to take my 7th graders to go read to the elementary grades, and during English class they decorated their doors like their favorite books or authors. But, it was stressful because I lost almost a week of instruction time. Then this week our biggest inspection is going on, so everyone is on pins and needles as we are getting observed and inspected all week. This inspection will decide if we can continue having accreditation from the UAE government I believe. It is during this same week that we are trying to finish quarter 3 and get all the grades turned in. This is always a constant struggle it seems. I look back often and wonder what have I even covered thus far? It's April and what have I taught these students!

But, amidst the struggles of work life goes on as usual. I stay in the small city I live in most weekends. Going in to the city for maybe a day trip on the weekend. But, honestly I kind of like it this way better. It is so nice to just be able to relax and veg out on the weekends. Or in my case work and plan, but I am always more relaxed doing that at home rather than in the city. I am already looking for flights to Portland for the summer! I did get screwed over though in my flight reimbursement. They say they choose the cost from here to your destination through the most expensive airline (Ethiad) and give us that much money. However, they only gave me about 1,800 US dollars and every flight I have found for summer is around 2,200-2,700. But, I don't even care I am just so excited to be home and see everyone! Not much else to say or tell you about. My life isn't all that interesting honestly. I'll try to get better at blogging more often, but most days it seems like nothing worth telling really occurs ha. Until next time everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment