Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Phuket, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta adventures

So it has been awhile since I last wrote. After Chiang Mai we flew to Phuket as I said earlier. The street we ended up booking on was supposed to be a big tourist street, it was called Bangla Road. We got there at 2:00 am because of our flights. It was such a disgusting place. Sewage coming up everywhere and a stench wherever you go. But worse than the constant bar and club noise, the sewage, or the dirtiness was seeing the sex trade occurring on that road. Transvestites, young girls, old women, any type and you actually see white men standing with wads of cash buying them. Broke my heart whenever I saw a 12-15 year old Thai girl with a 50+ white man. 

After one horrendous night there we moved hotels. Spent a lovely day driving around on mopeds and touring the island finally settling on a lovely beach away from the beaten path. However, Phuket took a turn for the worse when I got into a motorbike accident. A ton of pedestrians came out of nowhere and the bike in front of me stopped abruptly so I braked buty brakes didn't work properly. I sideswiped the bike in front of me and as a result both bikes landed on me and I skidded that way 5 feet or so. Luckily Kyle ( the guy on the other bike) was barely scratched. My left knee is still really sore and I got some great road rash  scars but other than that all is well. I just learned my lesson don't rent motor bikes in the cities here. 
Us on the beach while watching a lightning storm in Phuket.

After that crash I went to Phi Phi. Amy, Justin, and Kyle wanted to stay behind so I met up with Amy's friend from Canada, Chantal. We spent two nights there and it was a blast. There were these amazing fire shows with people doing hoola hoops with fire, twirling fire batons, and more. Then they pulled up the limbo pole and set it on fire. Audience members were invited to come go under it. I couldn't because of my knee so one of the performers picked me up by the arm and leg and went under while the pole was lit and at waist height while holding me. So terrified when I felt the flames on my face. Other than that we walked along the beach seeing all the shows and took a night swim in the bay. I loved phi phi. There were no cars, no motor bikes, and a thriving community of both Thai and expat. If I ever come live in Thailand it would be there for sure. While there Chantal and I went snorkeling, to another island with a beach called Maya Beach. It is where some movie I've never heard of was filmed and everyone said its a big deal because it's very hard to access since it sits betweent two large rocks.
Some of the fire shows in phi phi.

We then spent two nights in Koh Lanta at a verrry nice resort when we finally reunited with Amy, Justin, and Kyle. I used my full day there to lay on a beach, get an aloe massage for my sunburns. Best part of the resort was that the pool was swim up to every porch. So our room had a porch and literally access to the pool right outside it. I really liked how chill Koh Lanta felt. Not touristy at all and verrry relaxed:)


We are now all reunited again and on our way to Koh Phagnan for the half moon festival. After one night here we are island hopping to Koh Tao an island near by with similar vibes to Koh Lanta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment