Blog Archive

Monday, August 26, 2013

Goodybye to Al Raha

I woke up today with one goal. To get all my medical tests, my paperwork, and my government mandated paperwork done. The company requires all of its employees go through an extensive medical test outside of the government mandated HIV test and xrays. So after 12 hours of fasting I showed up at the ADNOC health center and got my physical; which consisted of hearing, seeing, heart, blood, x-rays, and a typical physical check up. Then we had to run to get fingerprinting for our Emirate ID which they didn't tell us about when we were there the day before. And as I've been discovering here in the middle east there is no such thing as a clear outline or communication between the various places we are required to go. So we would go to one place for a paper, then they would tell us we had to go back straight from where we were for a different form. Needless to say after 8 hours and three malls (a lot of official buildings are located near or in malls) I had turned in everything to HR and I don't need to come back to Abu Dhabi to get all of it done like many teachers will need to.

It was nice to come back and not feel super exhausted. So I went and FINALLY got to enjoy the pool and beach area with some of the other teachers. I even got to swim up to the poolside bar and have a drink! It was very refreshing and the first day here without a lot of humidity so I was finally able to get some better pictures! But this 5 star hotel vacation is at an end. Tomorrow morning they will bus us all to our campuses where we will once again be put into a hotel until our accommodations are ready. Then the exciting day that I've been waiting for comes and we report to work on Wednesday morning!!! I am sure it will mostly be orientations but regardless I am just excited to be in the school. They will give us our keys to our apartments but we are welcome to stay at the hotel free of charge until we buy the proper necessities for furnishing. My plan is to work Wed/Thur and then go into the city Friday with some teachers and buy what I need to move in Saturday. But as I am quickly learning here don't make plans. Because NOTHING and I mean nothing is concrete here in the UAE. Here everyone says "Inshallah" which means "if it is God's will" or basically saying if it is meant to happen it will.

It's been so nice today to spend time with the other teachers. Even if most of them are not at my campus it has been really fun to meet everyone and hear about all the places they come from. I will post pictures soon!

P.S This was written a day before I posted and that may happen alot while I am over here!

No comments:

Post a Comment