Blog Archive

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Boni Italia

Boni Italia. Merry Christmas in Italian. I spent Christmas in the most beautiful place I have ever been (and remember I've been to Hawaii and Alaska ha), Assisi. The minute I checked into my hotel I heard an American guy talking to the hotel manager about how he's moving from Assisi to Saudi Arabia  I told him I lived in the UAE which struck up a conversation. And before I could even pick up my bag he invited me to go with him and his family and their friend (who was staying at the same hotel) to drive to some of the sights in Assisi that you can't get to without a car. I can't even begin to describe how great Helen and Jack's family were to me. They drove me to the spot where St. Francisco (francis) lived. A church was built up around the original stone hut and the hut was turned into a nativity scene. Then we drove to santa maria church which is the 6th largest churh in the world. Right in the middle of the church is a stone structure that was st. Francis' s first church ever where he served the leper colony. This chapel is actually where he died and is considered even more holy to the Assians than the monastery where he is buried. After seeing all of this the family took us to a nice Italian restaurant and we celebrated Christmas lunch.

After they drove us all the way into the mountains to see the ancient castle that overlooks all of Assisi. And then my favourite spot in all of Italy, a small grotto deep into the hills where St. Francis lived in his later years.  This was his spot throughout his life where he would go to meditate, pray, and seek solace. The chapel built here was tiny, the doorways and hallways made child size but it was the most beautiful place ever. A feeling of complete peace overcomes you there and it is hard to leave.

But we did leave and went to st fransesco, the monks home and St. Francis burial spot. I went with Jeff, the family's friend , who says he has come back to Assisi four times because of a strong pull he feels from this place and from St. Francis himself. Jeff is not spiritual or Christian but he said he couldn't help but to keep coming back time after time. After visiting the tomb of the Saint I understood why. Never have I felt anything like the feeling when down by St. Francis's tomb. In fact I went back there again today and am now heading to St. Clare's after my lunch.

Without Helen and Jack I never would have seen any of these amazing things so  I was so fortunate in these experiences. And to top it off Helen gave me olive oil made in Assisi this year by the seminary!

I threw my coins into Trevi Fountain a few days ago. Legend says give a coin and you'll come back to Rome. But if I ever come back I would spend all my time here in this beautiful town.

To cap off my unique Christmas I was so fortunate to be able to skype home for several hours which was amazing to see everyone.  Made me miss home a lot but regardless it was a special Christmas I'll never forget. Especially since it finally rained. Reminded me of Oregon! Chow for a while.  My next hostel for the next three nights has no wifi (it was super cheap cause it's near the student area of Florence) so I will try to update as I can. Bon Italiano everyone.

Oh, the picture below is the nativity outside San Fancesco. As many of you know St. Francisco created the first nativity so the town is overflowing with them! There are two pictures of the town and one of some famous gelato in Assisi.

No comments:

Post a Comment