Blog Archive

Monday, November 18, 2013

Mafi Mushkila, Mafi Mushkila

"Mafi Mushila" has become my new motto here in the Arabian Peninsula. It means "no problem" or "no worries." And if you do not quickly adapt this attitude here you will sink. For example, we are celebrating National Day as a school next week, but this week I have lost 4 different periods of class because half of the boys are pulled out to practice their dance, the girls all disappeared during English class for something else, and well we are going on a field trip with no idea of the schedule (and the trip is tomorrow). But these are common occurrences in this school and country so I have learned to throw my hands in the air and just say "Mafi Mushkila." I have learned to like this laid back attitude here. It can be frustrating when you are in the middle of teaching and half of your class disappears on a daily basis or when someone standing right next to you tells a students "sure you can eat that" right after you have said "no" to the same student. But it is much less stressful to just say Mafi Mushkila and not let things get to you. It is as almost as if saying the words remind you that in all reality it actually is not a big deal.

Well, I don't have a lot of time to write tonight. I have to get ready for the field trip and plan some lessons. Wahoo, so exciting ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment